– Section Head for Ophthalmology, Department of Surgery, at AKUH (2003- 10)
– Associate Professor for Ophthalmology at AKUH (2003- 16)
– Assistant Professor for Ophthalmology at AKUH (1999- 2003)
– Visiting Registrar, Ophthalmology, at the Royal Eye Unit, Kingston Upon Thames, UK
– Senior House Officer, Ophthalmology, at Kent County Ophthalmic Hospital, Maidstone, UK
– Clinical Attachè Ophthalmology at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
During his time as Chief Resident at AKUH, and as Registrar/ Specialist Registrar in the UK, he was regularly involved in administration, involving on-call rotations, S.H.O., timetables, annual and study leave of trainees, clinics and theatre sessions, as well as the general supervision of juniors.
His job as Registrar at the Royal Eye Unit, was most instrumental in advancing his surgical skills, and he also received valuable experience in all aspects of Ophthalmology. Furthermore, as a Registrar he was assigned administrative, supervisory, and teaching responsibilities.
– Best Teacher Award, Section of Ophthalmology.
– Best Teacher Award, at 25th Anniversary Convocation of AKU.
– Lifetime Achievement Award, South Asian Academy of Ophthalmology.
– Ibn-e-Haitham, Professorship in Ophthalmology at AKU.
– Gold Medal for work on Prevention of PCO after Cataract Surgery, International Ophthalmology Conference.
– Shield Award, International Medical Panel for the Advancement of Cataract Treatment, Bangkok.
– Best Poster-Presentation Award, SAARC Ophthalmic Conference.
– Best Video Presentation Award, Annual Ophthalmology Video Conference, Islamabad.
– Resident’s Award for Faculty Development in Ophthalmology, AKUH.
– Aga Khan Award for the Class of ’88, Scholarship awarded to the top two graduates.
– President’s Merit Scholarship, awarded for last three years at AKU.
– First position in the M.B.B.S. Part II Exam.
– Honors in Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine and Community Health Sciences.
– Third position in Karachi in HSc, with an overall A grade, and distinctions in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
– University Scholarship from the Board of Education for two years.
– Overall A grade in SSC, with distinctions in nine out of ten subjects.
Dr. Ali has a particular interest in reading and writing. He also enjoys travelling.
We welcome Dr. Ali onto our Advisory Board, and hope that students interested in a career in Ophthalmology or Professorship can get in touch with him in the future!